Saturday, January 14, 2006

I'm so good...

I had a sudden urge to weigh myself this evening. Not sure why as I usually try and do it at the same time each day, in the morning after my bath and all that mullarky. Anyway I was pleasantly surprised because I'm down to 14 st 6 which means I've lost 5lb in total so far.

What's really good is that this has been achieved solely through healthier eating and not a special diet or much extra exercise. I take the dog for a long walk 4 or 5 times a week and we both have a little jog along the way but that's about the only concession I've made to strenuous exercise so far. If I have a snack I try and have something not too fattening like fruit or a slice of Ryvita. I think I've had two packs of crisps in two weeks and only two sausages in all that time and believe me, that's pretty good for me.

It's because of this steady approach that I think it's working. I don't feel the craving for snacks like I used to and any I do get are minor and usually easily overcome. Still not feeling self-righteous though. How can I when this is only what I should be doing?

And...guess what? It's not hard. I know that's an old cliché but I'm pretty certain that most of the problems people have with trying to lose weight are psychological. They're convinced they're not going to do it so it never happens. Go with the flow. If it doesn't start to come off straight away, don't worry. Stick at it. If you're just eating less or healthier then expect to have to wait a few days before you notice anything because you'll probably compensate by drinking the odd extra cup of tea or overdoing the healthy snacks.

Moreover - be honest and don't lie to yourself. Did you really not snack earlier? I used to know somebody who claimed he ate good healthy food but was nearly 30 stones. He used to drink a large can of evaporated milk a day though and somehow it had become so much of a habit that he didn't notice it or account for it in his daily intake. We knew this because we found his stash of Carnation in the office one day. Another friend is very overweight yet can't see that the bottle of cream liqueur she gets through every week in her coffee and her almost total lack of exercise is a contributing factor. Admitting you've not been as honest with yourself as you'd hitherto believed can be just as big a victory as losing that first pound.

Here's to next week!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home