Thursday, January 05, 2006

Salad recipe No. 1

This is a little self-indulgent as I'm not exactly Gordon Ramsay but as I'm going to be eating a lot of these, and they seem to be working, I might as well share my efforts.

Very simply, I had a trawl through the fridge to see how I could augment the usual lettuce and handful of other leaves that I used as the basis for any salad I make so, what went in last night was:

A handful of iceberg lettuce leaves and a small handful of mixed leaf from (OK, I know I shouldn't but it's a space thing and the waste goes in the compost) a supermarket ready washed bag.

1 sliced Herta hot dog sausage

a handful of chopped red and orange capsicums

1 largish tomato, cut into 8 segments

A sliced spring onion

4 mid-sized new potatoes and a small knob of supermarket's own rip-off buttery spread (the kind with the jokey name made to sound like "Utterly Butterly" but half the price)

1 lemon and parsley smoked mackerel fillet of around 100 grams

A teaspoon of Morrisons' own French dressing.

Pepper to taste. Note - NO salt! The only additional salt I ever add is a pinch or two to the potatoes. Salt is hugely bad for your heart and there's enough in the sausage already.

A few drips of Thai Sweet Chilli Sauce

What's special about this? Nothing much except that I added the knob of buttery-like spread to the pan of drained spuds, flaked in the mackerel and very gently heated it. I then added the dash of sweet chilli sauce and a bit of pepper to finish it off. It was simple, took 20 minutes to make and is relatively healthy (a nice helping of omega-3 oils from the fish helps nicely), has very little unsaturated fat and only around 5-600 calories if you care about that sort of thing. Nice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sharon J said...

Do you have a weekly weigh-in? And do you circumnavigate your midriff with a tape measure on a regular basis? ~Sharon

5:19 PM  
Blogger Richard said...

No but I'll let you do it for me.

5:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home